Thursday, January 10, 2013

Resources for Ingredient Substitutions

I'm trying to build up a sort of library or catalog of things I find useful on this diet. Pretty much everything I make involves substituting one food for another. Here are some sites I've found helpful, and some others that I might look at some day.

Butter & Oil Substitutes
 The Kitchn: Did you know you can substitute avocado for butter? (link)

Baking Substitutes
The Joy of Baking Baking Ingredient Substitution Table (link)

Nightshade Substitutes
Good Substitutes for Tomato Products from followers of The Kitchn  (link)
How to Replace Nightshades: Tomato (link), Potato (link), Peppers (link), and Eggplant (link).

Everything Substitutes! 
The Cooks Thesaurus (link) is great for everything, but especially for learning about using the many non-wheat flours.
The Kitchn: Guide to Food Substitutions (link).

Other Creative, Healthful Subs
83 Healthy Recipe Substitutions (link).


Other sites I haven't looked at yet:
E-Cookbooks Ingredient Substitutions (link).
Recipietips.com Food Substitutions List (link).

By the way, The Kitchn is so great. I LOVE it! I can't eat almost anything on the site, but I learn so much that it's indispensable.

No comments:

Post a Comment