Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Meals (using Day 1 of the diet)

Breakfast
Green tea and Lundberg apple cinnamon rice cakes.

Lunch & Dinner
Today I'm making some recipes from my How to Cook Indian cookbook by Sanjeev Kapoor. I also included scallops seared in rice bran oil with dinner. 

I'm still struggling a bit to keep the food families together on the rotation schedule, especially in regards to citrus and onion/leek/garlic. Because those foods seem so essential to good cooking, I have split up the citrus fruits into different days and will do the same with the onion/leek/garlic family (Interestingly, asparagus is also in that family). 

I'm using a leek stock for my soup today because 1) I have it in my freezer and 2) I'm still thinking about what to do with this food group. The recipe also calls for garlic. I just used garlic yesterday, so I guess I will leave it out today and just use leeks instead. My Indian soup will have a French flair.

All of my recipes for today also call for cumin. Cumin is a 1.3 on my LEAP results, so I feel confident eating it (Anything under 1.0 is very low reactive, and it looks like anything under 2.0 is fairly low reactive as well. I'm trying to stick to foods under 1.5 right now). BUT... it's a member of the parsley family, which I eat on Day 3 (as mentioned above, I'm on Day 1 now). So, I'm splitting up the parsley family and hoping there is enough diversity between the seed of cumin and the root of carrot that it won't be a problem. Although, it would be nice to have cumin on the Mexican-inspired day as well... decisions, decisions!

Fodnicha Bhaat (Tempered Rice)
My adaptation of this rice dish was composed of peanut oil, black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, peanuts, and cooked brown basmati rice (See photo with the soup below).
 
Matar Ka Shorba (Green Pea Soup)
I used green peas, leeks, ginger, cumin seeds, peanut oil, and leek stock to make this soup. It didn't look all that delicious, but it actually tasted quite nice.



The finished product:

Thanks, India, for the good food and great memories!


Snacks and Beverages
Lemon flavored sparkling water (the La Croix brand is great because they only use water and fruit essence), more green tea, and some citrus fruit (orange & grapefruit).

No comments:

Post a Comment